Legal Service Providers

Getting Married at Home Affairs

The current economic client, as well as the increasing of number South Africans living abroad yet wanting their marriage recognised in South Africa, has seen an increase in vows being taken at Home Affairs.

Whatever your reasons, here is what you need to know to arrange your wedding at Home Affairs.

At any Home Affairs office you may be married the under the Civil Union Act, 2006, (Act no 17 of 2006) or the Marriage Act, 1961, (Act no. 25 of 1961). Civil Union caters for both homosexual and heterosexual couples and Marriage Act is for heterosexual couples only.

Points to Note:

  • It is free to get married at Home Affairs offices
  • If you are married under the Civil Union Act, you are not allowed to enter into a marriage under the Civil Marriage Act or the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act.
    In the same way, if you are already married under the Civil Marriage Act or the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, you are not allowed to register a civil union in terms of the Civil Union Act.

  • Marriages in South Africa are automatically “in community of property”. If you want to get married “out of community of property”, you must go to your attorney to obtain a marriage contract before/prior you get married.

What do I need to do before getting married at Home Affairs?

  • Got to the Home Affairs office where you’d like to get married and book a date for your wedding.
  • You will need to take with you the following:
    • A letter of confirmation of marital status from the country of origin if you are a foreign National
    • Two ID photos and your left hand thumb prints will be taken from both parties to the marriage.
  • If you or your partner does not have an identity document (ID), you must complete “Declaration for the purpose of marriage” (Form DHA-31)

On the day of your wedding you will need:

  • Two witnesses & their ID’s or passport (if they are a foreign nationals)
  • Your ID’s or passport (if you are a foreign national)
  • Divorce order, if applicable
  • Death certificate, if applicable

The marriage officer and the two witnesses must sign a document certifying that the declaration was made in their presence.

After your marriage, your marriage particulars will be recorded in the National Population Register (NPR) and you will get a hand written abridged marriage certificate (Form DHA- 27).

You can apply for an unabridged marriage certificate which cost approximately R75* and usually takes 6 – 8 weeks to be issued.

All forms you may require are available at the Home Affairs offices.

All that’s left to do, is for you to walk out as Husband and Wife and enjoy the rest of your wedding day with family and friends.

* Prices correct at time of printing

Legal Requirements for Weddings in South Africa
Legal FAQ’s for Weddings in South Africa
Marriage and South African Law
Same-Sex Marriages in South Africa
To Take His Name or Not to Take His Name

Useful links:

No Comments Found