More brides are opting for the beach wedding. Getting married on a beach is extremely romantic, fun and different. South Africa’s beaches are renowned for their beauty and cleanliness. One of the most frequently asked questions to me is “Can I get married on a beach in South Africa?”.
The answer…. Yes!!
There are a few things for you to take into consideration when planning a beach wedding.
- In order to marry on a public beach you will need to obtain a permit from the relevant City Council. It usually take at least one week to be issued. The permit cost is between R300.00 – R6000.00* depending of the beach, size of the group and complexity of the function. Many wedding planners and organisers can obtain this permit for you.
- Having a permit to be married on a public beach does not guarantee exclusivity. Your wedding service is open to passers-by.
- From October to December Cape Town can experience very strong winds. The ideal months for a beach wedding are between January and March.
- Before choosing the time to be married, check if the tide will be in or out.
- Be sure to check what time the sun sets.
- You will need a plan “B” in the event of wet weather.
- If possible, visit the beach or have someone visit the beach for you to assess accessability including parking areas (some beaches have small access roads which will not be easy with a limo), decide where exactly on the beach to have the ceremony and proximity to the toilets. You don’t want to be too close to the toilets or too far.
- You will need to do the legal signing of the register indoors, that is, a room or venue after the ceremony. Your minister, marriage officer or wedding planner will be able to provide more information on this.
- Choose a photographer who has done beach weddings. There is a lot of sunlight and glare for them to have to account for.
Having said all that, most of the beach weddings go off without any problems, and the couples and their guests love them. So with proper planning, your beach wedding can be a reality.
Legal Requirements for Weddings in South Africa
Legal FAQ’s for Weddings in South Africa
Can I get married on a beach or anywhere outdoors?
Marriage and South African Law
Same-Sex Marriages in South Africa
To Take His Name or Not to Take His Name
* Prices are correct at time of publishing. Please check with local councils for current prices.